Tuesday, 22 February 2011

Top Gear US

I am a huge fan of the British version of Top Gear. If you have no clue what Top Gear is, or what I'm talking about, here is a quick rundown of the British show. Fun, entertaining reviews of cars by 3 of the funniest dudes in England. They test cars on their track and often take on challenges from their producers that usually end in laughter by the audience. For quite a while, the US has been trying to make their own version of the show since Russia and Australia had launched theirs in the last few years. Jay Leno was once in talks to host the show as many people consider him to be the American Jeremy Clarkson  but Leno doesn't believe that an American version will do well. I kinda felt the same.

The first episode of the American Top Gear aired November 21st, 2010 on the History Channel and I have put off watching it till now. Every day, there it sat in my PVR taunting me... "Watch me." Tonight is the night I finally cracked and decided to give it a go. The American version stars comedian Adam Ferrara, professional racing driver Tanner Foust and racing annalist Rutledge Wood. First impression of the cast... I'm glad they are not trying to be Jeremy Clarkson, James May or Richard Hammond. THANK GOD!

Their first segment involves the Dodge Viper, which happens to be my all time favorite American Sports Car. Tanner takes it around the track a bit and talks about the stats and history of this beast of a car. Pretty normal stuff for Top Gear. It's not long before he is pulling up to Rutledge who is now explaining their challenge. They are to play a game of cat and mouse with a Cobra Attack Helicopter. AWESOME! They are to drive to the other end of a town and back to the airport, only being able to be caught by the Cobra 3 times. Tanner offers some more information about the Viper as they drive around and Rutledge does offer some witty banter with him. So far, I like it.

They are now introducing The Stig. Much like the British version, The Stig is not to be seen without his helmet or heard speak. All he is there to do is drive the car around the track as fast as possible. And what a car to start with. Once again, the Dodge Viper. Being the first show and maybe trying to find out how they plan to do things, I felt that they analyzed the lap way too much. Where as Clarkson has fun while talking about the lap that is being done, Tanner just seems to talk about the track and what The Stig is doing to keep the car on the track.

The BBC version has a segment called 'Star in a Reasonably-Priced Car'. Concept: The weekly celebrity guest drives an everyday basic car around the track and their times are kept to compete with the other celebrity guests. The American version does the same, but calls it 'Big Star, Small Car'. The car in which the celebrities will be driving is the Suzuki SX4. Their first guest is American Hero Buzz Aldrin. The astronaut seems to be the perfect first guest. Funny and entertaining behind the wheel.

Next segment of the episode pits 3 Lamborghinis against each other to find out the best bull out of Italy. Being compared are the Murcielago SV, the Gallardo Superleggera and the special edition, rear-wheel-drive Gallardo Valentino Balboni. If Tim Allen were here, he would be grunting. Each host chooses a car and tries to convince the others why theirs is the best choice if you want to get a Lamborghini. How will they choose which is the best? 1 Mile. HOW FAST WILL THE CARS GO? I don't even need to drive them to tell you the answer... FAST! And holy hell did they ever. 173MPH for the Gallardo Valentino Balboni, 175MPH for the Murcielago SV and 180MPH for the Gallardo Superleggera.

Now everyone I know has been shitting on the American version about everything including the hosts, the originality and the AMERICAN-ness of it. This was the reason that I wasn't going to even watch it in the first place. I was one of those dumb people that said, "It won't be as good as the British version." BUT NOTHING WILL! That's why I decided to watch it. I finally realized that much like American remakes of fims, nothing will stand up to the original.

So what did I think? I liked it. It won't make me stop watching the BBC version, but now I have double the amount of Top Gear to watch. Each of the hosts had their moment that made me laugh. They brought some amazing cars to the show. I think Tanner has the experience of a driver that they need. Adam offers the entertainer aspect that it needs, and Rutledge kind of resembles the everyman that makes us all watch and go "That could be me." If you are even a slight fan of cars, you will find some enjoyment in Top Gear US.

No comments:

Post a Comment